Our love of Mexican street food combines with our love of pasta in this dish, which is ready in just over 30 minutes. We love it for a lunch time BBQ or picnic on the beach.
- 1 whole roasted chicken, pre-made from your super market
- ½ large purple onion, diced into ½
- 1 red pepper, diced into ½
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. sauce from canned chipotle pepper
- ⅓ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. agave or honey
- 1 ½ cups dry pasta, small shape, cooked according to the package's instructions
- 1 avocado
- 2 ears of corn
- chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Once ready, bake the corn in (husk and all), and allow to cook for 10 minutes. This is such an easy way to essentially steam your corn, leaving it in the husk allows it to cook while locking in all moisture that might otherwise escape. It also involves the least amount of effort and clean up.
- Chop the onions, peppers, and tomatoes. In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Once it is hot, add in the onions, stir, and sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the peppers, the 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce. Stir and cook with onions for another 7 minutes. Juice 1 lime over the mixture, allow to cook for 3 more minutes. Take off the heat and add in the cherry tomatoes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta according to the package’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cumin, agave and the other lime, juiced. Whisk together.
- On a cutting board, using your hands, shred the chicken, starting with the breasts and then the legs. Do not use any fatty pieces. Mix in with the Greek yogurt. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- On a platter or large bowl, mix the pasta and the red pepper mixture. Cut the avocado in half and then into bite size pieces. Add the chicken on top. Garnish with the chives ad serve.
- If preparing ahead of time, mix the pasta and red pepper mixture. Reserve covered. Reserve the chicken salad in a separate bowl, cover, and refrigerate. Assemble all together once ready to serve.