Wut? It’s May (basically). This means: our body goals haven’t been met (eh, next year), our closets need to be turned over (but TBH El Nino, we’re confused), and most importantly: It is day drinking season. New Yorkers heart day drinking. We love brunch. We love post-brunch brunch. We love post-brunch pre-dinner drinks. We love pre-dinner pre-dinner drinks. Unless you’ve been training, marathon-like, for May, this can be intimidating, because even though New Yorkers like to draaaank, we do NOT think it’s chic to be slurring our words by 2 p.m. or twisting our heels on cobblestone streets in our new flatforms. This means: We’ve got to find our day drink. One that we can enjoy without worrying that we won’t make it post-dinner pre-going-out drinks.
Just like the flares and long dresses we’re saying we’re going to buy when we’ve saved some money (but never saving any money because, Whole Foods), we’re looking to the past for our Spring day-drink-spiration. We’re going with Wine Spritzers. A staple of garden parties in the 60s and 70s, and a bona fide character in Ladies of London, the Wine Spritzer is back. The best news? Every wine spritzer need not be the same! Below, some spritzing rules, and some recipes so you can get yo’ spritz on.
1. There should always be 3 parts wine to one part soda (or mixer)
2. Bitters or some kind of aromatic juice/mixer dress her up
3. Peels and other colorful garnishes are a must
4. Get fancy with your club soda. There are tons of flavored waters out here for a flavor kick without the cals.
5. Choose a wine or sparkling wine that is crisp and bright: think sauvignon blancs and high quality rieslings.
6. Enjoy all day long (because thats the point of the spritzer, it allows you to drink for longer periods of time. Wait, no?)
Here are this season’s IT cocktails.
For more recipes and party planning ideas, visit our Recipe Index